weston-desktop-shell

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 05:13:38 PDT 2015

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 11:06:38 +0000
Nancy Zou <Nancy.Zou at csr.com> wrote:

> Hi pekka
>
> >>Btw. even the 3 seconds sounds awfully long. What platform is this
> >>and which backend/renderer?
> Fbdev backend, gl renderer

Ah, the unholy combination.

> >>Did you pass some --with-cairo= option to Weston's configure?
> --With-cairo=image

Good.

> >>Does the desktop fade in from black, or does it just jump out after
> >>3 seconds?
>  No black screen with Weston-desktop-shell. But if use other clients,
> there is black screen first.
>
> The Weston-desktop-shell start need about 1.5s. After start
> Weston-desktop-shell, then start my own launcher need about 3s. I
> used to start my launcher instead of Weston-desktop-shell, it need to
> cost 15s.
>
> Part of my Weston.ini
> [core]
> shell=/usr/lib/weston/desktop-shell.so
> backend=/usr/lib/weston/fbdev-backend.so
>
> [shell]
> background-color=0xff002244
> background-type=tile
> panel-color=0x90ff0000
> locking=true
> animation=zoom
> startup-animation=fade
> #client=/usr/bin/launcher
> client=/usr/lib/weston/weston-desktop-shell

Odd. You definitely should be getting first a black screen which then
fades to the desktop once weston-desktop-shell signals ready, because
you have startup-animation=fade.

> >>The 16 seconds delay happens because the application you replaced
> >>weston-desktop-shell with does not do the job of
> >>weston-desktop-shell. There is a 15 second timeout to show the
> >>desktop in case weston-desktop-shell fails to signal ready.
>
> Thank you for your details. Does it means the desktop shell need to
> check the signal or the compositor?

It's the "desktop_ready" request in desktop-shell.xml.

But really, that is just one of the many things a weston-desktop-shell
replacement needs to handle. You can't plug a random app there.

Weston currently does not have a feature to start arbitrary clients on
start-up. It has been discussed but not implemented yet.