After exiting weston all consoles not working anymore

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 04:29:26 PDT 2015

On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 12:19:46 +0100
Thilo Cestonaro <thilo at cestona.ro> wrote:

> AFAI can see, it is the weston-launch which does the bad thing.
>
> If i, being root, start weston directly, it does work fine.
> If i, being root, start weston indirect via weston-launch, the process
> never returns to console and I can't login from via other shells.
>
> This behave is the same with 1.7.0 and 1.7.90.
>
> The commands I used to start weston:
> # Weston direct
> openvt -c 7 -w -v -- weston --backend=drm-backend.so --use-pixman
> --log=/home/root/weston.log
> openvt -c 7 -w -v -- weston --backend=fbdev-backend.so
> --log=${HOME}/weston.log
>
> # Weston via weston-launch
> openvt -c 7 -w -v -- weston-launch -- --backend=drm-backend.so
> --use-pixman --log=${HOME}/weston.log
> openvt -c 7 -w -v -- weston-launch -- --backend=fbdev-backend.so
> --log=${HOME}/weston.log

Is anything actually switching to vt7? I'm not sure what weston-launch
does there, usually it takes the current VT and you don't seem to be
telling openvt to switch.

Do you mean that the device stops responding in the network when you
say you can't open an ssh session? Like a kernel hang or panic?

Are you unable to switch vts after exiting weston?

weston-launch is the proper way, as a normal user. If you use
weston-launch with --tty, I think you usually also want --user other
than root. IIRC these two options usually go together.