Proposal for better collaboration on xdg-shell

Jasper St. Pierre jstpierre at mecheye.net
Mon May 11 08:36:15 PDT 2015

Yeah. I think some people were assuming xdg-shell was final, and I was
its gatekeeper, and it's what GNOME wants and you have to fight to get
other things in.

That wasn't my intention at all! My goal was to build a solid base for
the rest of the DEs to eventually work more like how Bryce wants, but
I was imagining it would work a lot more informally, sort of like how
wm-spec-list works.

If there are *any* controversial features in xdg-shell that you don't
like, please let me know! The goal here is to make sure that it's a
good base for everybody, so by the time you roll around to
implementing it, xdg-shell is exactly what you want, and you can start
with custom extensions to implement stuff that's specific to your DE.
Even GTK+ has plenty of features in a custom gtk-shell that other DEs
probably don't care about.

--
  Jasper