[RFC] Declare enumeration wl_output.transform as bitfield.

Auke Booij auke at tulcod.com
Wed Nov 25 06:17:28 PST 2015

On 25 November 2015 at 13:43, Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 25 November 2015 at 12:08, Nils Christopher Brause
> <nilschrbrause at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 3. The API change is negligible. Every request that accepts this bitfield
>>    expects a number in the range of zero to seven. These numbers can be
>>    represented in and converted between signed and unsigned 32 bit integers
>>    without any loss and generated compiler warnings are harmless.
>
> Warnings aren't harmless though; there's a reason we don't (shouldn't)
> have any in our build. Every 'oh, just ignore that' warning drowns out
> legitimate compiler warnings, and dumping warnings on our users
> because we broke a stable API isn't really acceptable. So, sorry, but
> NAK from me. :(
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel

Note that this these warnings are resolvable: e.g. the weston code can
be fixed so that it does not generate warnings under this change.
(Although I understand that that is not quite sufficient.)

Under what conditions would you agree to this protocol change? E.g.
would more documentation towards developers regarding the warnings
help? Or some sneaky way to avoid compiler warnings?