Process for implementing a double buffer on Wayland

Mike Johnson mikeyj001 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 25 08:06:57 PST 2015

Hi guys,

I just need some guidance on how to implement double buffering on Shared Memory.  I'm not using OpenGL

I've created 2 buffers of the same size (800x600 pixels).  So I want the input buffer to get filled off-screen, while the output buffer will show the content on-screen.

First of all what sort of content could be used to illustrate this technique, and secondly, what mechanisms are available to:

a) Notify that the input buffer is full
b) Copy the content to the output buffer so that it shows on-screen

Like most people I'm new to Wayland, but I'm able to show an image using one buffer, but not sure how to do double-buffering.  Perhaps video would be the obvious content to use, as several frames per second could be shown.

Look forward to any advice.