black surface in desktop shell fullscreen mode

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 23:59:25 PDT 2015

On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 11:12:42 +0800
zou lan <nancy.lan.zou at gmail.com> wrote:

> >>If a client really wants to use the transparency, and does not want
> opaque black bars, it can be the client's responsibility to produce a
> buffer that can fill the screen.
>
> This is what the client wants to. The Qt app call "hide" function just
> wants to implement a function like minimize the window. But there is no
> minimize in fullscreen mode. I think maybe the qtwayland
> can implement the "hide" to make the window really transparent , not a
> black screen now.

Hi,

"hide" should be implemented by destroying the wl_surface and/or the
xdg_surface, in case committing a NULL wl_buffer is not allowed by the
xdg_shell spec.

"Minimizing" is a very different operation, you would use
xdg_surface.set_minimized for that, and I don't think being fullscreen
prevents that in any way.

Both of those do what you want: make the window disappear.

Making a window completely transparent though is not something you
should try to do, and it won't make a fullscreen window disappear
guaranteed.

So, my question stands: what does Qt do in Wayland terms for "hide"?
Is it using wl_shell or xdg_shell protocol?