Signed-off-by in Wayland and Weston projects

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 00:19:21 PDT 2015

On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 10:49:18 +0800
Jonas Ã…dahl <jadahl at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 07, 2015 at 11:05:34AM -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:

> > Same, I've ignored it when it was missing many-a-time.
> > Although see my next comment.
> >
> > > I just did a really quick check and we have just one patch in weston
> > > with a S-o-b under a pseudonym, so even when it's been present we
> > > haven't necessarily checked it for validity. :)

> > > I've seen it asked for in patch review before, so I thought it was
> > > already a hard requirement.

> > > Right...
> > >
> > > Even then, without GPG signing everything, how do we know a
> > > contributor is who they claim to be and that the S-o-b is meaningful
> > > anyway?

Let's not go there. Next you'll be asking reviewers to gpg-sign their
R-bs and having re-sent patches with R-b to be signed by all of authors
and reviewers to prevent forged tags...

> FWIW, libinput has more strict requirements than wayland/weston
> regarding this, but since it seems to have never been a requirement for
> wayland/weston I guess we can continue with that.

I don't know why we should be strict with S-o-b, but then again I
didn't understand the license thing either.

I'd be happy to be ignorant and not strictly require S-o-b, but we
could still recommend it once in a while. S-o-b never hurts, right?

How about adding a recommendation to give S-o-b in Contributing,
including explanations, but not rejecting patches only because they
miss a S-o-b?

In more complex cases where people pick up others patches and change
them, the S-o-b tags with change comments in the commit message help to
describe how the patch has evolved, giving credit where it is due.