Signed-off-by in Wayland and Weston projects

Jonas Ådahl jadahl at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 00:33:57 PDT 2015

On Thu, Oct 08, 2015 at 10:19:21AM +0300, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 10:49:18 +0800
> Jonas Ådahl <jadahl at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Same, I've ignored it when it was missing many-a-time.
> > > Although see my next comment.

> Let's not go there. Next you'll be asking reviewers to gpg-sign their
> R-bs and having re-sent patches with R-b to be signed by all of authors
> and reviewers to prevent forged tags...
>

> > FWIW, libinput has more strict requirements than wayland/weston
> > regarding this, but since it seems to have never been a requirement for
> > wayland/weston I guess we can continue with that.
>
> I don't know why we should be strict with S-o-b, but then again I
> didn't understand the license thing either.
>
> I'd be happy to be ignorant and not strictly require S-o-b, but we
> could still recommend it once in a while. S-o-b never hurts, right?
>
> How about adding a recommendation to give S-o-b in Contributing,
> including explanations, but not rejecting patches only because they
> miss a S-o-b?

Sounds reasonable to me.

> In more complex cases where people pick up others patches and change
> them, the S-o-b tags with change comments in the commit message help to
> describe how the patch has evolved, giving credit where it is due.

Well this is actually a reason why to be more strict; repurposing a
patch or applying a reverted patch including new changes by a different
author. With S-o-b's by all involved, it'd be more clear who were
actually involved. The same applies to patches on the mailing list
rebased by other than the original author (but of course we can't
control what ends up in the list).

Jonas