Unstable protocol name breakage

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Oct 20 06:53:18 PDT 2015

Hi,

On 20 October 2015 at 06:16, Jasper St. Pierre <jstpierre at mecheye.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 7:22 PM, Jonas Ã…dahl <jadahl at gmail.com> wrote:
>> xdg-shell.xml: Should we bite the bullet and rename this one, or just continue
>> letting its stability state be non-discoverable? It's clearly already used, and
>> renaming it will be painful, so not sure about this one.
>
> People are clearly unhappy with the status quo, so I'd be fine to
> rename this one to zxdg_shell.

I'm not particularly happy with the status quo, but the reality is
that it's exposed by both Weston and Mutter, and we've been telling
clients to use it - e.g. GTK+ relies on it. If we're going to change
the name, I'd prefer to combine this with a breaking protocol change,
so we're not foisting further incompatibility on clients for no
particular reason.

Cheers,
Daniel