Compile and use rpi-backend on raspberry 2 gave always black screen after weston-launch

Fabio Fantoni fabio.fantoni at m2r.biz
Thu Sep 24 07:52:06 PDT 2015

Il 23/09/2015 16:53, Derek Foreman ha scritto:
> On 17/09/15 09:16 AM, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
>> Il 17/09/2015 14:15, Pekka Paalanen ha scritto:

>>> Arguments to ./configure seem ok.

>>> So input works, good. Only gfx output is missing.
>>>
>>> Your weston log looks ok, with one strange thing: "mesg: ttyname
>>> failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device". I wonder where that comes from.

>>> If you look into the documentation of rpi-update, you should find how
>>> to specify old versions: https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update
>>>
>>> Unfortunately I cannot tell what a good firmware revision might be.
>>> Also, I don't think I've tried Weston on rpi2, only on rpi1. They
>>> probably shouldn't differ in this respect, but who knows.
>>>
>>> Maybe someone who actually has Weston/rpi-backend working could tell
>>> his firmware revision. The distribution shouldn't matter as long as
>>> rpi-update updates the libraries too.
>>>
>>> Actually you might want to check if there are multiple copies of e.g.
>>> libbcm_host.so, libvcos.so, libvchiq_arm.so or such. Using a wrong
>>> version compared to your firmware might cause problems. Also try the
>>> demos from
>>> https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tree/master/opt/vc/src/hello_pi
>>> If things like hello_dispmanx don't show up, then the problem is with
>>> the firmware or the proprietary libs for sure.
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> pq
>> Thanks for you reply.
>> I did some other tests, trying latest update with kernel 4.1.7 gave same
>> result, I tried also commit 33a6707cf1c96b8a2b5dac2ac9dead590db9fcaa
>> (latest 3.18) but also in this case same result (black screen) and
>> nothing useful in logs :(
>> I tried to build and run hello_dispmanx.bin and seems working: I see a
>> blue, green and redsquares at the center of the screen.
>>
>> Is there someone that use raspberry 2 with wayland/weston that can give
>> me a commit of a working firmware please?
> Sorry, in order to do that I'd be doing what Pekka already suggested you
> do (try different versions until one works)

Thanks for reply, I already tried 6 different versions (not near
commits) plus recent commits from start of testing including another
update today but nothing works :(

> I've actually never had great success with the rpi backend on my rpi2.
> online mode was fine until you open too many windows (as expected).
> offline mode was 30fps until you opened too many windows, then the
> device locked up.
>
> I'm fairly confident that must be a firmware/support library problem.  I
> didn't bother trying different revisions.
>
> Ultimately, I think the rpi renderer will likely be removed entirely,
> see http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/VC4 for a work in progress DRM
> driver for rpi/rpi2.
>
> We're using this as part of a tizen image for rpi2
> (https://blogs.s-osg.org/tizen-rpi2-now-supporting-3d-acceleration), and
> it works reasonably well even in its current state.

I didn't try Tizen and I don't know if is possible do a low cost spice
thin client with raspberry pi 2 (my mainly target for now).

For try VC4 I must rebuild linux from
https://github.com/anholt/linux/tree/vc4-kms-v3d-rpi2 , mesa from
upstream and change /boot/config.txt as wiki told or I must also
recompile wayland, weston (instead default debian packages without
rpi-backend) and/or other components not mentioned in VC4 wiki page?
In mesa configure of wiki I saw:
--with-egl-platforms=x11,drm
I must include also wayland, right?

Thanks for any reply and sorry for my bad english.