weston-info

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 08:30:18 UTC 2016

On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 10:20:28 +0200
Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> weston-info seems like a generally useful tool, even outside of weston, and
> gives interesting information on the compositor, supported interfaces,
> outputs, inputs...
>
> Only thing that seems fairly specific is the presentation timing client
> protocol.
>
> I think it could be beneficial to move that tool outside of weston and make
> it a standalone package (e.g. wayland-info) that people could use to debug
> Wayland issues (like for example, just yesterday someone was asking on irc
> about outputs not being detected in mutter under Wayland, using xrandr,
> whereas weston-info gives the output configuration/layout directly from the
> compositor).

Hi Olivier,

this is a good idea indeed.

Originally weston-info was needed in Weston repository, because it was
useful in reporting specific information from extensions being
developed in Weston. Nowadays we have wayland-protocols for such
extensions.

However, since *-info depends on wayland-protocols, it cannot be put
into the Wayland repository, as that would create a cyclical dependency.

So, a new repository seems to be needed. Let the bikeshedding for the
name begin! ;-)

(Is it expected to host other universal Wayland tools?)

"wayland-info" would be fine by me, for both repo and tool name.