weston-info

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 09:55:42 UTC 2016

Hi Pekka,

On 5 April 2016 at 10:30, Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:

> ​[...]
>

> this is a good idea indeed.
>
> Originally weston-info was needed in Weston repository, because it was
> useful in reporting specific information from extensions being
> developed in Weston. Nowadays we have wayland-protocols for such
> extensions.
>
> However, since *-info depends on wayland-protocols, it cannot be put
> into the Wayland repository, as that would create a cyclical dependency.

​Ah right, yes, of course...
​

> So, a new repository seems to be needed. Let the bikeshedding for the
> name begin! ;-)
>
> (Is it expected to host other universal Wayland tools?)

Very good question, do we have any other universal tool of general use like
weston-info?

I would be fine with a dedicated repo (
Xorg tend
​s​
to use one repo per tool
​, e.g.​
xdpyinfo
​, xdriinfo, xwininfo, xprop within xorg/app) so maybe we could have
"wayland/tools/
wayland-info
​"​
?

"wayland-info" would be fine by me, for both repo and tool name.

Cheers,
Olivier​