weston-info

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 12:57:29 UTC 2016

On 6 April 2016 at 14:12, Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:

> > Just a fly by shed color thought. If we in the future want to add more
> > generic debug tools (for example something like xev that is a bit more
> > nice than "WAYLAND_DEBUG=1 weston-terminal |& grep -e '[insert complex
> > expression here]'") then maybe "wayland-tools" or "wayland-utils"?
> > Then again "wayland-info" is nice because it sounds more like a
> > "read-only" thing than "-tools" and "-utils".
>
> +1 for something like that - and the tool you're thinking of (though
> incredibly unpolished) is weston-eventdemo. ;)

​Oh right, nice...​

​<joke>​
... let's rename it "wev" ​

​:-)​
</joke>

I'm sure polishing can come later, but ​I dunno how bundled ​weston-eventdemo
is with weston code though, i.e. how hard it would be to make that a
standalone tool. Seems for the most part, weston code is used for the
parsing of options.

I'd prefer they weren't split into one repo per tool. I think, and
> this is pretty much the general consensus of upstream and distributors
> both, that we went too far with unbundling during Xorg modularisation.
> It doesn't give anyone any practical benefit, and just makes life a
> bit more difficult.

​Cheers,
Olivier​