weston-info

Jonas Ådahl jadahl at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 15:04:49 UTC 2016

On Wed, Apr 06, 2016 at 02:57:29PM +0200, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> On 6 April 2016 at 14:12, Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:
>
> > > Just a fly by shed color thought. If we in the future want to add more
> > > generic debug tools (for example something like xev that is a bit more
> > > nice than "WAYLAND_DEBUG=1 weston-terminal |& grep -e '[insert complex
> > > expression here]'") then maybe "wayland-tools" or "wayland-utils"?
> > > Then again "wayland-info" is nice because it sounds more like a
> > > "read-only" thing than "-tools" and "-utils".
> >
> > +1 for something like that - and the tool you're thinking of (though
> > incredibly unpolished) is weston-eventdemo. ;)

Ah, right, forgot about that one. There are probably reasons for that :P

> ​Oh right, nice...​
>
> ​<joke>​
> ... let's rename it "wev" ​
>
> ​:-)​
> </joke>
>
> I'm sure polishing can come later, but ​I dunno how bundled ​weston-eventdemo
> is with weston code though, i.e. how hard it would be to make that a
> standalone tool. Seems for the most part, weston code is used for the
> parsing of options.

Seems to built on top of toy toolkit, and gets all events from there.
We'd either have to port it to not using toy toolkit (I suppose a
complete white frame is enough for a "wev" tool), or just rewrite it
from scratch. I suspect rewriting it might actually be less work. Either
way, no need to wait for such a thing to happen before creating a
"wayland-tools" repository.

Jonas