standardizing "surface-local coordinates"

Yong Bakos junk at humanoriented.com
Tue Apr 19 16:55:19 UTC 2016

Hi,
There was a little discussion recently about standardizing occurrences of "surface local coordinates" to the grammatically correct "surface-local coordinates." (It's a compound adjective.)

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2016-April/028241.html

Doing so would affect documentation in:
wayland: protocol/wayland.xml
wayland-protocols: pointer-constraints, tablet, xdg-shell
weston: protocol/ivi-application.xml, compositor.c (1 comment header)

Currently, both the dashed and dashless versions are used in description paragraphs. Standardizing this would help protocol authors adhere to one grammatically correct convention, and also improve succinctness of arg summaries. For example "x coordinate in surface local coordinates" can become "surface-local x coordinate."

I know this contribution isn't huge, but wanted to give you the chance to discourage me from doing this before I send a handful of patches. You might suggest alternative terms entirely, but prior discussion seems to indicate that "surface-local" is concise and less susceptible to misinterpretation than alternatives (eg. "surface relative").

Thanks for your time,
yong