Create cross wayland-scanner for toolchain or cross-development environment

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 14:55:12 UTC 2016

On Fri, 8 Jul 2016 11:29:16 +0100
Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Jumping the gun a bit, hope you'll forgive me :-)
>
> On 8 July 2016 at 09:17, Quentin Glidic <sardemff7+wayland at sardemff7.net> wrote:
> > On 18/05/2016 14:55, Andrew Kosteltsev wrote:
>
> >> Then the user can make use this cross-wayland-scanner in his SDK, for
> >> example, like follow:
> >>
> >> $ ../MesaLib-10.3.4/configure
> >> WAILAND_SCANNER=$(SDK_DIR)/bin/$(target)-wayland-scanner
> >>
> Afaict newer mesa releases should include the generated files. Thus
> one shouldn't need to use the tool, let alone have it.
>
> If anything I'd suggest pinging the respective projects to provide
> complete/comprehensive release tarballs.

Hi Emil,

that would make the project release tar-ball depend on the libwayland
version of the system where the tar-ball was created. Are you sure you
want that?

You probably want to fix it in wayland-scanner instead, but that is not
the reality today, yet. It only works because we haven't changed the
scanner incompatibly for quite some time now.

I suppose this is the reason you wanted to have the versioning options
in wayland-scanner. It never occurred to me that people would be
shipping the generated files. You don't put them into VCS either, and
Weston takes care to not ship them.