Create cross wayland-scanner for toolchain or cross-development environment

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 15:07:49 UTC 2016

On Fri, 8 Jul 2016 11:24:15 +0200
Quentin Glidic <sardemff7+wayland at sardemff7.net> wrote:

> On 08/07/2016 10:46, Andrew Kosteltsev wrote:
> > Hi Quentin.
> >
> > I see. My suggestion related to simplify the build process on developer
> > machines which doesn't have pre-installed native Wayland package. And
> > also I think it would be good if wailand-scanner output will be
> > generated by scanner which has the same version as target machine scanner.

Hi,

I think this has usually been solved by building wayland manually
twice: first only the scanner for the build arch, second the full build
for the target machine.

> > Currently developers must have installed wayland package and it is not
> > convenient if developer builds several targets for different CPU (and
> > may be different versions of some SW packages) at the same time using
> > cross environment.
> >
> > (for example, GNU file also requires native file utility on developer
> > machine, moreover it must have same version). I think not all needed
> > tools can be implemented into toolchain like cross-compiler. Some of
> > them can be built and added into DevEnv later on build time.
> >
> > Any way It is up to you. I just suggest.
>

> I see your concern, and you should worry about only one thing: that your
> native libwayland package (so your wayland-scanner) is newer than the
> one you build.
> libwayland, and thus the scanner, will remain backward-compatible, so
> there is no harm in generating an old libwayland with a newer scanner.
> At least until wayland 2.0. :-)

Actually wayland-scanner will use all new features it knows about,
which means libwayland must be equal or later than the scanner. This
was especially obvious when the scanner started using new libwayland
ABI.

We only guarantee that upgrading libwayland will not break existing
binaries (or builds), which means that old scanner will always work
with a new libwayland.