[RFC wayland-protocols] Color management protocol

Kai-Uwe ku.b-list at gmx.de
Wed Dec 21 20:20:16 UTC 2016

Hello Richard,

Am 21.12.2016 um 11:30 schrieb Richard Hughes:
> On 21 December 2016 at 09:14, Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I suggest that compositors use the CMS you have spent so much time and
>> effort perfecting, and you start with the assumption that they will not
>> or cannot do so. Why?
>
> I think lcms2 is fine to use; it's widely used in other projects,
> tested, and already optionally used in weston.

For the simple shoot and forget interface for client color space
tagging, which Niels is thankfully working on, a CMS like littleCMS
might be well established, maintained, reviewed, audited and supported.

However as it is used in Weston, it has clipping and other not so good
side effects, but it is certainly valuable on its own for base color
correction. A different CMS can go beyond that and add more color
management features to the benefit of the while desktop not only some
esoteric clients, which support device links or other more powerful
expressions from their own GUIs.

Kai-Uwe