[RFC wayland-protocols] Color management protocol

Kai-Uwe ku.b-list at gmx.de
Wed Dec 21 20:45:24 UTC 2016

Hello Pekka,

Am 21.12.2016 um 11:59 schrieb Pekka Paalanen:
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 10:30:50 +0000
> Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 21 December 2016 at 09:14, Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think that's basically correct, argyllcms doesn't have any header
>> files or shared libraries. When using it to generate color profiles
>> for things like printers from gnome-color-manager I have to spawn the
>> binaries themselves (and only in a VT...) and then scrape the output.
>> https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-color-manager/tree/src/gcm-calibrate-argyll.c#n273
>
> Oh, that's a huge surprise to me, being accustomed to open source.

At least the Oyranos CMS API is certainly able to integrate ArgyllCMS as
a CMM, despite Argyll providing only CLI interfaces. Oyranos CMS
provides libraries, tools. And GUIs and (X11) compositors use those
Oyranos libs.

>>> Yes! The CMS needs to provide the API that all compositors could use.

> Sorry about the typo, I meant "an API", not "the API". We're not
> Khronos, indeed.
>
> Just like programs can choose their toolkits, compositors should be
> able to choose their color management providers for calibration and
> color processing. We would still have the public and generic Wayland
> extension for providing color-managed content, so it would not affect
> normal application compatibility.

As a CMS author, who is much involved with the KDE community and working
as well for other DEs, I appreciate this openness. I wish to integrate
Oyranos CMS with Wayland/Weston.

colord is considerd very Gnome centric.

Kai-Uwe