[RFC v2] Add Primary Selection Protocol Version 1

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Sun Jan 3 22:28:13 PST 2016

On Sun, Jan 03, 2016 at 10:17:12PM -0800, Bill Spitzak wrote:
> On 01/03/2016 09:05 PM, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> >On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 12:03:46PM -0500, Lyude wrote:
> >>+        This event is sent whenever the client receives a middle click, and will
> >>+        be received by the client before the actual middle click event. While
> >>+        the compositor is free to bind this event to another input event (such
> >>+        as a keyboard shortcut), the client should always treat pastes from the
> >>+        primary selection as middle clicks. This is to ensure the behavior is
> >>+        identical to that of primary selection pasting in X.
> >
> >Not a big fan of this, the intent is good but the wording needs improvement.
> >Unless you somehow pair the event with a middle click, a client cannot know
> >if the middle click triggered the paste or a keyboard shortcut, followed by
> >a middle click. I would argue for wording that requires this event to be in
> >the same wl_{pointer|touch|keyboard}.frame as the triggering event.
> >
> >Let's assume an application that binds middle click to full-screen, for
> >argument's sake:
> >"treat pastes from the primary selection as middle clicks."
> >This would mean that if you receive a selection_offer event the client must
> >full-screen the application because the event is to be treated like a
> >middle click :)
> >
> >Suggested rewording:
> >"This event is typically sent whenever the user executes a middle click
> >though the compositor may bind this event to other user input sequences. If
> >applicable, the selection_offer event is sent in the same wl_pointer.frame,
> >wl_touch.frame or wl_keyboard.frame as the triggering event.
>
> I really do not like this key assignment being something the compositor is
> in charge of. A client may have a very good reason to use middle-click for
> something else, yet still want the ability to paste from the selection.

this is still possible with the current proposal.

> Also it seems like you will send this on *every* middle click. Some clients
> require clicking the middle button a lot without pasting (it is very common
> to use it as a pan control in 2D/3D).

your average touchpad sends events at 80hz. most of those translate into
some sort of pointer movement and wl_pointer events that are ignored by the
client unless they trigger something specific. even if you use a lot of
panning, I think we disagree on what "a lot" is in the context of input
events :)

> It seems like it would be much better to send this event when to surfaces
> with various foci (keyboard, mouse, etc) when the selection changes, and
> also when a surface gets a focus and the selection has changed since it last
> had focus.

in the normal use-case you will get a lot more focus changes than middle
clicks.

Cheers,
   Peter