[RFC v2] Add Primary Selection Protocol Version 1

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 22:37:47 PST 2016

On 01/03/2016 10:28 PM, Peter Hutterer wrote:

>> I really do not like this key assignment being something the compositor is
>> in charge of. A client may have a very good reason to use middle-click for
>> something else, yet still want the ability to paste from the selection.
>
> this is still possible with the current proposal.

I think you are talking about the client optionally using the middle
click for paste or for something else, perhaps depending on where they
click. That is certainly important.

As far as I can tell this is purposely preventing clients from using a
keystroke or shift+click or any other action to trigger a paste from the
selection. That seems wrong to me. Also, despite the comment, it is not
"identical to that of primary selection pasting in X". X lets the client
grab the selection buffer at any moment, nothing in the X protocol ties
it to the middle mouse button.

>> Also it seems like you will send this on *every* middle click. Some clients
>> require clicking the middle button a lot without pasting (it is very common
>> to use it as a pan control in 2D/3D).

> in the normal use-case you will get a lot more focus changes than middle
> clicks.

Not if middle-click is used for panning. That's why I mentioned it.

You are correct though that it is probably irrelevant. Though I am a bit
concerned that this event includes an object with a new id, and all the
necessary work on both the compositor and client to track it.