Introduction and updates from NVIDIA

Martin Peres martin.peres at free.fr
Mon Jun 13 09:32:52 UTC 2016

On 21/03/16 18:28, Miguel Angel Vico wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> First of all, I'd like to introduce myself to the Wayland community: My
> name is Miguel A. Vico, and I've been working as a Software Engineer
> for NVIDIA for some time now, more specifically, in the Linux drivers
> team. Although I've never spoken before, I've been lately following the
> amazing work that you all have been doing here.
>
> We have been working on adding to our drivers all required features to
> be able to run Wayland and Weston on top of it. We have just released
> our NVIDIA's 364.12 GPU driver, which brings initial DRM KMS support
> (among other things). Please, check out our public announcement here:
>
>      https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/925605/linux/nvidia-364-12-release-vulkan-glvnd-drm-kms-and-eglstreams/
>

> In order to make the Weston DRM compositor work with our drivers, we
> have used EGLDevice, EGLOutput, and EGLStream objects.

Hi everyone,

This discussion has been going on for years (not this thread, the general
discussion). This issue is hindering Wayland and X, as mesa developers
cannot enable HW features such as compression or new tiling modes for
scanout buffers and we need to create one standard that would work also
for AMD, NVIDIA and ARM platforms.

How about we actually have a forum/track at XDC just for these issues
and we do not go out of the room/conference without a plan? This is after
all the raison d'ĂȘtre of XDC, making it less difficult for developers to
talk with each others!

During this session, I would like to have all the goals and requirements
put out in clear lists, then we can work on defining the priorities and
then try to create the least amount of protocols to address as many
problems as possible at the same time. Of course, all the interested
parties should be coming to XDC2016 (Helsinki, 2016-09-21 -> 23).

Martin