Does wayland support touch-screen rotation?

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 13:07:53 UTC 2016

On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 12:25:55 +0000
"Ruei, Eric" <e-ruei1 at ti.com> wrote:

> To whom it may concern:
>
> I am not sure this is the right place to post Wayland/Weston
> questions or report problems. If it is not, please forgive me and
> point me to the appropriate site. Here is the problem that we face:

Hi,

this is the right place, yes.

> The touchscreen on TI AM335x EVM is in reverse order, i.e starting
> from bottom-right instead of top-left. We were able to handle this at
> our QT5 Matrix-Gui application by setting the environment variable
> QT_QPA_EVDEV_TOUCHSCREEN_PARAMETERS="rotate=180" with QPA = EGLFS and
> LINUXFB. However, this solution is no longer valid when we enable
> Wayland support on AM335x because the touch-screen rotation needs to
> be handled by the Wayland compositor. It seems to us that Weston 1.9
> does not support this kind of operation after a lot of Web searches.
>
> My question is whether Wayland compositor should support touch screen
> rotation and if the answer is yes, when will this feature be

Yes, it is the compositor's job to handle it.

> available? Attached please find a hacking patch as a proof of concept
> only for your reference.

It is already supported, see:
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/tree/src/libinput-device.c?id=1.11.0#n426
and WL_CALIBRATION.

In its current form, WL_CALIBRATION support was first released with
Weston 1.6. Note, that it is configured via udev, not weston.

See also https://wayland.freedesktop.org/libinput/doc/latest/absolute_axes.html

Bugs are always possible, so do come back with details if you have
trouble getting it to work.