[GSoC] Some questions about wayland clients with no outputs present

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Tue May 3 07:52:46 UTC 2016

On Mon, 2 May 2016 17:33:14 -0700
Bryce Harrington <bryce at osg.samsung.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 02, 2016 at 12:49:04PM +0200, Armin Krezović wrote:
> > On 30.04.2016 22:14, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > > On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 05:20:09PM +0200, Armin Krezović wrote:
> > > But virtual outputs is not a bad idea, it could be useful for testing or
> > > perhaps to extend one's rendering beyond ordinary hardware capabilities
> > > or something.  But it should be user-controlled via commandline options
> > > or config file options.
> >
> > I was thinking about using the virtual outputs when no physical outputs
> > are present, and keep them out of the way otherwise. Sure, a command
> > line switch/config option is useful, especially for the test suite (Pekka
> > proposed something similar).
>
> I wonder what situation would arise where the user would want to use the
> drm backend when there weren't any physical outputs.  I can see that for
> testing purposes but am drawing a blank for use cases other than that.

Say, you have your system running, and you want swap the monitor. Or
re-route the cable better. Or just close the laptop lid (I hear that
might cause the LVDS to disconnect). Or have a mechanical video switch
which causes the display to appear disconnected when not selected.

But none of that is a reason in itself to have a fake output.