[GSoC] Some questions about wayland clients with no outputs present

Hardening rdp.effort at gmail.com
Tue May 3 13:40:10 UTC 2016

Le 03/05/2016 09:52, Pekka Paalanen a écrit :
> On Mon, 2 May 2016 17:33:14 -0700
> Bryce Harrington <bryce at osg.samsung.com> wrote:

>>> I was thinking about using the virtual outputs when no physical outputs
>>> are present, and keep them out of the way otherwise. Sure, a command
>>> line switch/config option is useful, especially for the test suite (Pekka
>>> proposed something similar).
>>
>> I wonder what situation would arise where the user would want to use the
>> drm backend when there weren't any physical outputs.  I can see that for
>> testing purposes but am drawing a blank for use cases other than that.
>
> Say, you have your system running, and you want swap the monitor. Or
> re-route the cable better. Or just close the laptop lid (I hear that
> might cause the LVDS to disconnect). Or have a mechanical video switch
> which causes the display to appear disconnected when not selected.
>
> But none of that is a reason in itself to have a fake output.

Funny, back 3 years ago I had the same questions with the RDP
compositor. My idea was to create the output (and the seat) when the
first client would connect (because the output would have the size
requested by the RDP peer). So if you manage to have 0 output working
everywhere else (I mean shell plugins), I'll probably consider have the
RDP compositor start with 0 outputs.

Best regards.

--
David FORT