[GSoC] The coding begins

Armin Krezović krezovic.armin at gmail.com
Mon May 23 14:51:03 UTC 2016

On 23.05.2016 15:56, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> Hi Armin,

Hello.

> the community bonding period is over, and today is the first day of the
> official coding period. How is it going? :-)

I was busy this past week, but now the things started to calm down.

> We had a chat in IRC a while back, and I asked for some things:
>
> - a place where you will report your weekly progress (a website), which
>   accumulates into something of a log of the whole GSoC project

Yes, we agreed on a blog-like site. I just finished setting up a personal
blog @ blogspot where I'll report my progress (weekly), as noted in
"The First Post".

https://armin-gsoc.blogspot.com

> - some project plans, a hierarchical list of tasks and sub-tasks, which
>   you would update as you find new tasks and close old ones (you can
>   use fd.o Phabricator for this if you want!)
>
> In fact, I would recommend taking a look at Phabricator and use as much
> of it as you can. It would be possible to create a personal project for
> you (I use that at Collabora to track all my jobs) where you can put
> all your Tasks. We could also do patch review there later, perhaps.
> There is also a wiki, but I believe you weren't so thrilled about that
> idea. ;-)

I haven't used Phabricator, and I don't think I'll need to. I can keep
track of things I have to do by myself. You can always ask for progress
though, and I'll report on the blog.

As for the tasks, I'll once again recap on how I planned to get this done:

- Setup a testing framework, where I can emulate a no-output environment
and hotplug automatically. The plan was to use the weston test suite. I'll
manually test no-output at startup scenario using x11 backend's
--output-count=0 parameter.

- Get weston to start without any outputs present (again, x11 backend and
--output-count=0 come in handy here).

- Once that's finished, make weston (and at least apps from the weston tree)
survive when all outputs have been removed. I will be really happy if this
gets solved while solving the task above, but I still have to account for it
(this is where the test suite will come in handy).

Once the following tasks have been finished, I'll submit a first part of
my GSOC project for review to the wayland mailing list.

While going through the review process, we can start discussing ideas on
how to implement the second part of my proposed changes - the extended
outputs. At the moment, I'm not really familiar with the topic, but I'll
get to it as soon as possible.

Now, while I do plan to do all of the tasks above right before midterms,
it's possible that it may slip a bit further and take, lets say, until
end of June. That still gives me plenty of time to work on the second
part of my proposal.

> Could you also reiterate your schedules, how long and much studies will
> be taking time from GSoC?

Sure.

I still have classes to attend to, but only for this and next week. After
that, the end terms period starts, which will be happening in the same
period the GSoC midterms are happening.

After June 22nd, all my end terms are over, and I can work full time until
end of GSoC (unless something else comes out, in which case I'll notify
you of the changes).

While I'm still attending classes, I won't be available at all (or will
be, but for a really short amount of time) on Monday through Wednesday.

I'll be mostly (but still not fully available on Thursday and Friday).

And of course, I'll be always available during weekend.

When the classes end (in two weeks from today), I'll be mostly available
on any working day and fully available during weekend.

I might not be available just the day before a really important exam,
but I think that won't be a problem, as it will be 3 days at most in
the 3 weeks period.

> There is no need to accumulate a whole summer's worth of development in
> GitHub. I recommend sending patches towards upstream as soon as you
> think they are applicable. Ideally everything you do lands upstream,
> but it's not mandatory, of course. Weston is a moving goal, especially
> libweston going on, so unmerged patches will need rebasing from time to
> time.

I set up a weston repository at github. You can access it at:

https://github.com/krezovic/weston

I need to commit my work somewhere, as I'm often clumsy and end up
deleting my home dir or stuff like that.

I'll submit patches for review often, so they don't accumulate and
so they will be easier to review, in case one feature needs to
depend on another.

> Thanks,
> pq

That's all for now. Cheers