Weston

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 10:57:39 UTC 2016

On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 09:44:58 +0000
Andrea Giammarchi <andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com> wrote:

> It looks like you want something like benja ( https://benja.io/ ) which is
> Weston + Electron based.
>
> It uses a service:
> https://github.com/WebReflection/benja/blob/gh-pages/os/sh/weston-compositor.service
> You can enable it via `systemctl enable weston-compositor`

Hi,

why is it using weston-launch when you have systemd?

> You also need to put
> ```
> [shell]
> client=/usr/bin/chromium
> ```
> or the application you want to use instead of the default desktop/shell
> inside the `~/.config/weston.ini` file, and this can be also a bash file
> that launches chrome in fullscreen or with specific parameters.

No, that does not fully work, unless you have modified chromium to also
take care of weston-desktop-shell's responsibilities.

weston-desktop-shell does not only do the wallpaper and panel, it also
provides the lock screen and pointer cursors for grabs and unresponsive
apps, plus more. See weston-desktop-shell.xml in Weston repository.

It may appear to work at first, but you will miss the corner cases.

Doing that also gives the app privileges it would not have otherwise
(i.e. bind to and use weston_desktop_shell interface).