weston and graphics tablet support?

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Fri Oct 28 05:22:39 UTC 2016

Time to discuss graphics tablet support in weston: I had a patchset for some
earlier version of the tablet protocol, since then we've added a few bits
and bobs, including the mode switching support.

Short story behind this email is: I seriously question the point of having a
tablet implementation in weston. I know it's supposed to be the test bed for
protocols (fwiw, we already have mutter + GTK support for tablets). But in
order to test this particular protocol, a lot of supporting infrastructure
has to be there that libtoytoolkit doesn't have. In addition, there are a
couple of things to be added to the compositor support, especially for mode
switching, that I question the value of having this in weston at all [1].

Some or most of this work will likely end up being an unused (and thus
untested) code path, the compositors that care about a niche feature like
graphics tablet support are unlikely to be the ones that use libweston.

So right now, I'm tending to *not* implementing tablet support for weston.
Any opinions? Yay? Nay? Banana!?

Cheers,
   Peter

[1] yes, you can attribute some of all this to laziness