weston and graphics tablet support?

Armin Krezović krezovic.armin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 10:32:00 UTC 2016

Hi

On 28.10.2016 07:22, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> Time to discuss graphics tablet support in weston: I had a patchset for some
> earlier version of the tablet protocol, since then we've added a few bits
> and bobs, including the mode switching support.
>
> Short story behind this email is: I seriously question the point of having a
> tablet implementation in weston. I know it's supposed to be the test bed for
> protocols (fwiw, we already have mutter + GTK support for tablets). But in
> order to test this particular protocol, a lot of supporting infrastructure
> has to be there that libtoytoolkit doesn't have. In addition, there are a
> couple of things to be added to the compositor support, especially for mode
> switching, that I question the value of having this in weston at all [1].

What infrastructure is toytoolkit missing?

What other compositor features besides the mode switching are missing?

There's support for mode switching in libweston itself, such as
weston_output_mode_switch_to_temporary and weston_output_mode_switch_to_native

What's wrong with them? Do they need some enhancements (I understand that not
all backends support this - but I can implement it for X11 backend, and we
can fake it for the headless one)?