libinput 1.7.0, intermittently erratic touchpad

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Apr 4 18:33:32 UTC 2017

Before filing a bug...

I'm having tap to click annoyances. When typing, the cursor insert
point changes somewhere else, and suddenly I'm typing where I don't
want to be; a nearby background application gets "palm tapped" and
becomes foreground. That sort of thing. So it's taken some getting
used to with Fedora 25 but usually I prefer tap to click enabled; but
since upgrading a couple days ago to Fedora 26 which has libinput 1.7
it's gotten much more erratic. The problem stops if I turn off "tap to
click" in gnome-shell preferences. I'm guessing that there's just too
much sensitivity and contact of my thumb palm to the edge surface of
the touchpad is causing this erratic behavior. So I'm curious if
there's a way to make it less sensitive or if there's even a bug here.

libinput-list-devices has a curiousity, even though gnome-shell tap to
click is on, this says it's disabled.

Device:           SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
Kernel:           /dev/input/event5
Group:            8
Seat:             seat0, default
Size:             92x52mm
Capabilities:     pointer
Tap-to-click:     disabled
Tap-and-drag:     enabled
Tap drag lock:    disabled
Left-handed:      disabled
Nat.scrolling:    disabled
Middle emulation: disabled
Calibration:      n/a
Scroll methods:   *two-finger edge
Click methods:    *button-areas clickfinger
Disable-w-typing: enabled
Accel profiles:   none
Rotation:         n/a

[chris at f26h ~]$ udevadm info /dev/input/event5
P: /devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input5/event5
N: input/event5
E: DEVNAME=/dev/input/event5
E: DEVPATH=/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input5/event5
E: ID_BUS=i8042
E: ID_INPUT=1
E: ID_INPUT_HEIGHT_MM=51
E: ID_INPUT_TOUCHPAD=1
E: ID_INPUT_TOUCHPAD_INTEGRATION=internal
E: ID_INPUT_WIDTH_MM=92
E: LIBINPUT_DEVICE_GROUP=11/2/7/1b1:isa0060/serio1
E: LIBINPUT_MODEL_SYNAPTICS_SERIAL_TOUCHPAD=1
E: MAJOR=13
E: MINOR=69
E: SUBSYSTEM=input
E: USEC_INITIALIZED=3816082

$ sudo cat /sys/class/dmi/id/modalias

dmi:bvnInsyde:bvrF.31:bd02/21/2017:svnHP:pnHPSpectreNotebook:pvrType1ProductConfigId:rvnHP:rn81A0:rvr48.54:cvnHP:ct10:cvrChassisVersion:

Chris Murphy