libinput 1.7.0, intermittently erratic touchpad

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Apr 4 22:36:22 UTC 2017

On Tue, Apr 04, 2017 at 12:33:32PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> Before filing a bug...
>
> I'm having tap to click annoyances. When typing, the cursor insert
> point changes somewhere else, and suddenly I'm typing where I don't
> want to be; a nearby background application gets "palm tapped" and
> becomes foreground. That sort of thing. So it's taken some getting
> used to with Fedora 25 but usually I prefer tap to click enabled; but
> since upgrading a couple days ago to Fedora 26 which has libinput 1.7
> it's gotten much more erratic. The problem stops if I turn off "tap to
> click" in gnome-shell preferences. I'm guessing that there's just too
> much sensitivity and contact of my thumb palm to the edge surface of
> the touchpad is causing this erratic behavior. So I'm curious if
> there's a way to make it less sensitive or if there's even a bug here.

definitely maybe :) This is something I can't answer without seeing an
evemu-record output from such a touch, but that's better attached to a
bugreport than email.

What I do assume is that the device's pressure values are different to the
ranges we set up - that would explain the changes when updating to 1.7.
an evemu recording of a few normal one-finger touch sequences will help with
that.

Cheers,
   Peter