[RFC v2 wayland-protocols] inputfd - direct input access protocol

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Apr 24 23:51:52 UTC 2017

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 10:57:37AM +0300, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 09:47:20 -0700
> Roderick Colenbrander <roderick at gaikai.com> wrote:
>
> > We originally discussed maybe using pipes and now more unix domain
> > sockets for 'non kernel evdev fds'. As part of the discussion we
> > realized ioctls wouldn't be available. Thinking about it some more, I
> > think the lack of ioctl support is problematic. Sure we can use fds to
> > send 'struct input_event' over, but EVIOCGABS is critical for
> > determining capabilties and value ranges. Many others are useful too
> > like the revoke ones. How should this be dealt with?
>
> Hi,
>
> whether or not you need two file descriptors for communication depends
> on whether you need an out-of-band, perhaps blocking from the client
> point of view, communication channel. Ioctls essentially are exactly
> that, a blocking out-of-band channel.
>
> The downside of a secondary communication channel is that it will be
> hard to correlate between messages on the two channels. If you issue an
> "ioctl" that somehow changes the content of the messages you are
> receiving, how do you know which incoming input events are with the new
> setup? That would need to be taken into account already when designing
> the input event (primary communication channel) messages. Whether evdev
> has any of this, I do not know.

evdev has some flushing during ioctls, but it's been prone to race
conditions in the past. I can't remember whether this has been fixed since
but libevdev still has the code for it.

see section "Discarding events before synchronizing"
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/libevdev/doc/latest/syn_dropped.html

This hasn't been much of an issue yet because we mostly care about
capabilities on startup, so whether a key is down on the initial ioctl
doesn't matter, we just drop that event and no-one minds. It's more of a
problem for multitouch, especially when we're not reading fast enough and
trigger a SYN_DROPPED but that happens only rarely.

SYN_DROPPED can happen in the kernel because the buffer is only a few events
big but on a custom fd/protocol, we should never lose events anyway, so that
problem goes away.

TLDR: send capabilities once before the first event and we're good.

Cheers,
   Peter