[RFC v2 wayland-protocols] inputfd - direct input access protocol

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Tue Apr 25 09:34:06 UTC 2017

On Sun, 2017-04-23 at 09:47 -0700, Roderick Colenbrander wrote:

<snip>
> We originally discussed maybe using pipes and now more unix domain
> sockets for 'non kernel evdev fds'. As part of the discussion we
> realized ioctls wouldn't be available. Thinking about it some more, I
> think the lack of ioctl support is problematic. Sure we can use fds
> send 'struct input_event' over, but EVIOCGABS is critical for
> determining capabilties and value ranges. Many others are useful too
> like the revoke ones. How should this be dealt with?

To be honest, I expected the single file descriptor to work both ways,
and with ioctls, but that's obviously not possible when the ioctl might
be blocking.

I've looked through SDL, and it only uses ioctl()s for this initial
state and for force feedback ("haptic"). A separate API for that looks
unfortunately in order.