[ANNOUNCE] wayland 1.13.0

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Apr 26 16:47:57 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 21 February 2017 at 22:59, Bryce Harrington <bryce at osg.samsung.com> wrote:
> Our next major release will be version 1.14, which will be scheduled
> tentatively as follows:
>
>   √ Development opens immediately
>
>   - 1.14-alpha in early May
>
>   - 1.14-beta around mid May
>
>   - 1.14-rc1 late May, with rc2 only if necessary
>
>   - 1.14.0 around beginning of June

I'd like to discuss this. As it stands, we're around a week away from
shipping an alpha, and feature freezing. At this point, we have
already committed libweston breakage such that the SOVERSION has hit
3. So far, we have nothing to offer for this breakage, just a bunch of
bugfixes and a pile of cleanups and groundwork that will only become
useful with future features.

Quentin has a queue of work he'd like to get through here:
https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/bundle/sardemff7/next%20release/

There are a lot of patches in Patchwork we should really get through
as well, but I don't have time this week (travelling atm). I would
also like to get the atomic precursor work[0] landed if at all
possible. And I'm sure others have their own wishlists: Derek's
no-FD-leak series comes to mind, and I'm sure there are others if we
looked and triaged properly.

So, my question: is it worth releasing now, or is a delay in order? If
we are to delay, we should set a new deadline, and put reasoning
behind this. For example, as a strawman, I believe about 6 weeks
should be sufficient to get aforementioned atomic work reviewed and
landed, and it seems like we could also get Derek's FD leak series
plus the libweston output object changes reviewed in that time as
well.

Also I think we should start having these discussions for future
releases. To be clear, this is _not_ about feature-based releases, but
looking at the time we have, and trying to concentrate all our efforts
towards things we would like to have for the release. If we had some
clear goals of what we thought we could get into the release, and what
would be valuable, we could put our efforts towards that, and
hopefully have some more focused releases.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Daniel

[0] Specifically, everything up to and including the 'atomic
modesetting support' patch, which lays the groundwork by adding the
state objects. All the work to actually properly assign planes on top
of that, will need to wait another cycle, given the lack of time for
review.