[ANNOUNCE] wayland 1.13.0

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 07:57:43 UTC 2017

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 18:47:57 +0200
Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> On 21 February 2017 at 22:59, Bryce Harrington <bryce at osg.samsung.com> wrote:
> > Our next major release will be version 1.14, which will be scheduled
> > tentatively as follows:
> >
> >   √ Development opens immediately
> >
> >   - 1.14-alpha in early May
> >
> >   - 1.14-beta around mid May
> >
> >   - 1.14-rc1 late May, with rc2 only if necessary
> >
> >   - 1.14.0 around beginning of June  


> I'd like to discuss this. As it stands, we're around a week away from
> shipping an alpha, and feature freezing. At this point, we have
> already committed libweston breakage such that the SOVERSION has hit
> 3. So far, we have nothing to offer for this breakage, just a bunch of
> bugfixes and a pile of cleanups and groundwork that will only become
> useful with future features.

That is ok by me, we have explained that weston major bumps are
meaningless featurewise. Haven't we?

> Quentin has a queue of work he'd like to get through here:
> https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/bundle/sardemff7/next%20release/
> There are a lot of patches in Patchwork we should really get through
> as well, but I don't have time this week (travelling atm). I would
> also like to get the atomic precursor work[0] landed if at all
> possible. And I'm sure others have their own wishlists: Derek's
> no-FD-leak series comes to mind, and I'm sure there are others if we
> looked and triaged properly.
> So, my question: is it worth releasing now, or is a delay in order? If
> we are to delay, we should set a new deadline, and put reasoning
> behind this. For example, as a strawman, I believe about 6 weeks
> should be sufficient to get aforementioned atomic work reviewed and
> landed, and it seems like we could also get Derek's FD leak series
> plus the libweston output object changes reviewed in that time as
> well.

By output object changes, do you mean my clean-up series? That's
currently on hold waiting for me to get time to revise it based on
review comments. It's blocked by reviewing atomic, which is blocked by
other work I need to do. I'm not sure when and if I can return to
those, and mind that I will be unavailable for May 19 - Jun 1.

> Also I think we should start having these discussions for future
> releases. To be clear, this is _not_ about feature-based releases, but
> looking at the time we have, and trying to concentrate all our efforts
> towards things we would like to have for the release. If we had some
> clear goals of what we thought we could get into the release, and what
> would be valuable, we could put our efforts towards that, and
> hopefully have some more focused releases.

Emre just mentioned this in IRC: "I need the screen_add_layer patch for
this release", talking about ivi-shell.

> Thoughts?

I don't have any personal desires one way or another.


> Cheers,
> Daniel
> [0] Specifically, everything up to and including the 'atomic
> modesetting support' patch, which lays the groundwork by adding the
> state objects. All the work to actually properly assign planes on top
> of that, will need to wait another cycle, given the lack of time for
> review.
> _______________________________________________
> wayland-devel mailing list
> wayland-devel at lists.freedesktop.org
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/wayland-devel
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 833 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
URL: <https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/attachments/20170427/7c912719/attachment.sig>

More information about the wayland-devel mailing list