Wayland talk at FOSDEM

Eugen Friedrich friedrix at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 21:08:42 UTC 2017

Hello Philipp,

I also thinking give a talk about the usage of weston in ivi systems,
this should give an overview what is the main difference to the
desktop environment and why the ivi-shell is used. Also I would like
to give short overview about the recent activities in ivi-shell and
usage of waltham.

> Hey everyone,
>
> I've been thinking about submitting a Wayland-themed talk to the FOSDEM
> graphics devroom [1] and wanted to check with the community if anyone
> else has considered this or another Wayland topic and whether you think
> it would be a good idea™.
>
> What I would want to talk about is a beginner's introduction to Wayland
> from the client perspective. I think that resources on this (and on
> Wayland in general to be honest) are quite scarce and that I could pass
> on some of the knowledge I have gained by implementing native Wayland
> support in Kodi this way.
>
> This would include stuff such as:
>  * Wayland architecture
>     * Comparison with X
>     * Security architecture
>     * Limitations: What is not possible with Wayland (currently)
>     * Difference between core and extension protocols
>     * Global registry
>     * Relevant documentation and resources
>  * Why you should not be writing a Wayland client yourself (aka use
>    toolkits if possible)
>  * Relevant compositors to test on and how to use nested mode
>  * Basic client programming
>     * Protocols needed to get a surface on screen (wl_compositor,
>       wl_surface, wl_shm, wl_shm_pool, wl_shell, wl_shell_surface)
>     * Seats and input
>        * Keyboard: wl_keyboard and libxkbcommon
>        * Mouse: wl_pointer and libwayland-cursor for cursor handling
>     * xdg_wm_base
>     * Window decorations
>     * EGL
>
> Possible extensions/replacement topics:
>  * Bindings (just mention: C++, D, Java, Rust)
>  * Vulkan (I think EGL is more relevant at the moment)
>  * Some more extension protocols such as pointer-constraints and
>    relative-pointer (relevant e.g. for games)
>  * Subcompositing
>  * ...
just as idea: there are a few patch series which are pending for a
very long time,
one of the famous one is the atomic mode setting patch series from Daniel :-)
maybe it would be interesting to give a short overview of the "cool"
pending feature
on the list which people can expect in next or over next release.