Wayland talk at FOSDEM

Philipp Kerling pkerling at casix.org
Thu Dec 7 21:07:46 UTC 2017

Hello Eugen,

2017-12-05 (火) の 22:08 +0100 に Eugen Friedrich さんは書きました:
> Hello Philipp,
>
> I also thinking give a talk about the usage of weston in ivi systems,
> this should give an overview what is the main difference to the
> desktop environment and why the ivi-shell is used. Also I would like
> to give short overview about the recent activities in ivi-shell and
> usage of waltham.
Nice, I'll be looking forward to that. I always wanted to know more
about how Wayland is actually being used for IVI.

> > Hey everyone,
> >
> > I've been thinking about submitting a Wayland-themed talk to the
> > FOSDEM
> > graphics devroom [1] and wanted to check with the community if
> > anyone
> > else has considered this or another Wayland topic and whether you
> > think
> > it would be a good idea™.
> >
> > What I would want to talk about is a beginner's introduction to
> > Wayland
> > from the client perspective. I think that resources on this (and on
> > Wayland in general to be honest) are quite scarce and that I could
> > pass
> > on some of the knowledge I have gained by implementing native
> > Wayland
> > support in Kodi this way.
> >
> > This would include stuff such as:
> >  * Wayland architecture
> >     * Comparison with X
> >     * Security architecture
> >     * Limitations: What is not possible with Wayland (currently)
> >     * Difference between core and extension protocols
> >     * Global registry
> >     * Relevant documentation and resources
> >  * Why you should not be writing a Wayland client yourself (aka use
> >    toolkits if possible)
> >  * Relevant compositors to test on and how to use nested mode
> >  * Basic client programming
> >     * Protocols needed to get a surface on screen (wl_compositor,
> >       wl_surface, wl_shm, wl_shm_pool, wl_shell, wl_shell_surface)
> >     * Seats and input
> >        * Keyboard: wl_keyboard and libxkbcommon
> >        * Mouse: wl_pointer and libwayland-cursor for cursor
> > handling
> >     * xdg_wm_base
> >     * Window decorations
> >     * EGL
> >
> > Possible extensions/replacement topics:
> >  * Bindings (just mention: C++, D, Java, Rust)
> >  * Vulkan (I think EGL is more relevant at the moment)
> >  * Some more extension protocols such as pointer-constraints and
> >    relative-pointer (relevant e.g. for games)
> >  * Subcompositing
> >  * ...
>
> just as idea: there are a few patch series which are pending for a
> very long time,
> one of the famous one is the atomic mode setting patch series from
> Daniel :-)
> maybe it would be interesting to give a short overview of the "cool"
> pending feature
> on the list which people can expect in next or over next release.
I thought that I'd just introduce the common/important compositors
(weston, mutter, KWin, sway maybe?) briefly. But I'll have to say a few
words about weston in particular anyway since it is the reference
compositor, so it could very well fit there.

Regards,
Philipp