wlroots whitepaper available

Drew DeVault sir at cmpwn.com
Thu Dec 28 18:05:42 UTC 2017

I represent the Sway wayland compositor. As some of you might know,
we've been working for some months on a new library for Wayland
compositor development. Today, Sway is based on the wlc libray, which
provides an abstraction on top of DRM, libinput, GLESv2, etc. We have
found it too high-level for our needs, and to that end have been working
on wlroots as a replacement.

We have prepared a whitepaper that explains the design, motivations, and
appeal of wlroots. For your consideration:

https://sr.ht/jAFC.pdf

Feel free to distribute this as CC-BY-ND.

The code for wlroots is available on GitHub:

https://github.com/swaywm/wlroots

Let me know if there are any questions. Along with Sway, wlroots has the
backing of the Way-Cooler and waymonad compositors, and we hope to work
with more. We're also hope to collaborate with compositors that do not
use wlroots on standardizing support for desktops that allow third-party
integrations that are portable across compositors.

--
Drew DeVault