wlroots whitepaper available

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 20:38:34 UTC 2017

On 28 December 2017 at 18:05, Drew DeVault <sir at cmpwn.com> wrote:
> I represent the Sway wayland compositor. As some of you might know,
> we've been working for some months on a new library for Wayland
> compositor development. Today, Sway is based on the wlc libray, which
> provides an abstraction on top of DRM, libinput, GLESv2, etc. We have
> found it too high-level for our needs, and to that end have been working
> on wlroots as a replacement.
>
> We have prepared a whitepaper that explains the design, motivations, and
> appeal of wlroots. For your consideration:
>
> https://sr.ht/jAFC.pdf
>
> Feel free to distribute this as CC-BY-ND.
>
> The code for wlroots is available on GitHub:
>
> https://github.com/swaywm/wlroots
>
> Let me know if there are any questions. Along with Sway, wlroots has the
> backing of the Way-Cooler and waymonad compositors, and we hope to work
> with more. We're also hope to collaborate with compositors that do not
> use wlroots on standardizing support for desktops that allow third-party
> integrations that are portable across compositors.

Surely you are familiar that weston provides libweston with somewhat
similar functionality, right?

Since your email is aimed at wayland-devel, it might be better to
point out what part of libweston design does not fit your needs?

In my (somewhat limited) experience developers seem quite open about
libweston. I cannot see any proposals from you - did I miss them, or
you simply felt uncomfortable posting those to the list?

Thanks
Emil