Regarding Wayland Integration to embedded arm64 platform

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 07:32:54 UTC 2017

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 10:54:41 +0530
saikishore <saik710 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to enable wayland to arm64 embedded platform and i use
> buildroot to build the rootfs and use kernel 4.1.
>
> I have builded wayland 1.7 & weston 1.7 packages using buildroot and
> enabled in rootfs and no kernel changes.

Hi,

any reason you picked so old versions of Wayland and Weston?

> Initially i want to run weston without any hardware changes. Is it feasible?
>
> and our embedded platform has fbdev, and i read somewhere we can use weston
> with backend fbdev for software rendering without gpu (mesa/drm/kms).
>
> So in my rootfs, enabled pixman rendering,wayland and weston and in kernel
> enabled fbdev. But with these changes i couldn't succeded to launch weston.

What did you try and what were the error messages?
Without that information it is usually very hard to help.

Do redirect stdout and stderr to a file to ensure you actually see all
output.

> anything else do i need to enable for weston running on embedded platform.

Here's a blind guess, try from a local VT:

$ weston-launch -- -Bfbdev-backend.so

If you are trying to run over ssh or via serial terminal, there are a
little more tricks to do which I forget.