Automatically choosing a VT for DRM compositor?

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 07:57:16 UTC 2017

On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 08:21:29 -0500
Matt Hoosier <matt.hoosier at gmail.com> wrote:

> This discussion seems to hinge on whether logind can be made to work for
> Weston as spawned by system units (rather than user-session units). I find
> that sd_pid_get_session() has always failed for me (leading to the "logind
> not running in a systemd session" Weston log entry).

There are systemd system units launching Weston in the way you want,
and I intend to send a Weston patch to add an example of one to be
installed with Weston (as an example, not directly usable, since it
will likely need a tweak or two for each distribution, the user to
launch it as comes to mind).

> The documentation on sd_pid_get_session() says:
>
> Note that not all processes are part of a login session (e.g. system
> > service processes, user processes that are shared between multiple sessions
> > of the same user, or kernel threads).
>

> So both empirically and in documentation, this seems like something that
> won't work. Do you have some successful past experience in using logind
> with system service processes? I'm not seeing the path to success here for
> system units.

Yes, it's working. PAMName=login might be the magic trick, but I need to
study it a bit.