wayland menu

David Craven david at craven.ch
Tue Dec 11 20:12:29 UTC 2018

Hi,

This isn't a concrete proposal but I think it would be nice to have
support for compositors implementing a menu like interface that
wayland clients can use. What this menu is or how it is implemented is
up to the compositor. The client would register an action in a tree
like structure and be notified when it occurs. This would allow
implementing for example a mac osx style compositor where the main
application menu is rendered outside of the window and changes
depending on what window has focus, or provide a more vim like
multimode experience with unified keybindings. I think this would help
toolkits like qt provide a native look and feel on wayland and
compositors define what a native look and feel is.

Regards,
David