[RFC v3 wayland-protocols] inputfd - direct input access protocol

Scott Anderson scott.anderson at collabora.com
Tue Dec 11 05:04:49 UTC 2018

Hi,

I thought I would try to push this [1] protocol along, as it's what
would be needed for wayland client gamepad input. There is still no
client-side "libgamepadinput", so clients are on their own when it comes
to handling these devices.

Here is a basic proof-of-concept implementation for weston:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/ascent/weston/tree/inputfd

It's a little rough around the edges, and a more complete implementation
would add some configurability. It just gives every device to whichever
client has the keyboard focus.

There is a very basic test client which just reports which devices it
receives, but doesn't currently do anything else with them.

The only oddity I noticed was there is a 'serial' argument to
zwp_inputfd_device_evdev_v1.focus_in which has no description and
doesn't seem to serve any purpose. A follow up version of this protocol
should remove that.

Scott

[1]
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2017-August/034828.html