Wayland support for Global Key binding

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 07:15:47 UTC 2018

On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 20:16:37 +0000
Phillip White <philthynz at outlook.com> wrote:

> Hey Dev's
>

> I have seen a lot of people hating waylands no global key binding
> feature.
>
> https://github.com/albertlauncher/albert/issues/309
>
> https://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2015/06/global-shortcut-handling-in-a-plasma-wayland-session/
>
> Do you have any plans to support this? I think this is a question a
> lot of people are wanting an answer to.

Hi,

yes. There is a proposal at
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2017-August/034776.html
but so far there have been no other interested developers to review and
push it forward. I think that proposal would be a good starting point
for discussion.

The fundamental idea is that applications cannot bind directly to a
key combination. Instead, they bind to abstract action names, and the
compositor defines what key (or mouse or touchpad or touchscreen or GPIO
input device or gamepad or laptop lid or battery status or ...)
combinations will trigger it. This is much more flexible than old style
key hijacking, and also securable against input sniffing which is
essential for any design.

Obviously it requires effort from compositors to offer a friendly UI
for configuring the actual keys for the actions. It also calls for an
agreed list of standard action names and possibly default key binding
suggestions.