pointer-constraints protocol: Removing lifetimes and persistency

Olivier Fourdan ofourdan at redhat.com
Tue May 15 13:01:35 UTC 2018

Hi,

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 2:36 PM, <Las at protonmail.ch> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> Yes I propose removing the persistent lifetime, removing the concept of
> different lifetimes as a whole, and just keeping the oneshot lifetime as
> the implicit lifetime.
>
> I initially did not consider any of the race conditions, but even then, I
> do not think it justifies the complex persistent lifetime and the large
> increase in complexity it brings with it.
>
> I think the approach where the client has to rerequest it each time it
> enters the region wherein the constraint has to be active, although more
> prone to slightly incorrect behavior, is superior because of the decreased
> complexity it burdens the compositor with.

FWIW, both SDL and Xwayland uses “persistent” and we have working
implementations of the protocol in weston/libweston and mutter, so it might
be hard to convince people (both compositor and clients developers) to drop
their working implementation to simplify the development of other
compositors...

Cheers,
Olivier