Use-case for CTRC background color?

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 13:16:01 UTC 2018

On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 18:03:18 +0530
Harish Krupo <harish.krupo.kps at intel.com> wrote:

> Hi Pekka,
>
> Thanks for the in-depth and descriptive reply. I will begin
> understanding the code and start making changes. I will revert back to
> this mail if I have doubts. :)

Hi,

I just realized I forgot one major detail: the composited framebuffer.
Ideally the composited framebuffer, if the hardware allows the primary
plane to be smaller than the CRTC area, would have its size optimized
to what actually needs compositing. That is, the framebuffer should
avoid covering areas where the CRTC background color is exclusive.
Otherwise the CRTC background color is only optimal if compositing can
be completely bypassed.

I think it is ok ignore this for now, and concentrate on cases where
compositing is totally skipped and all visible views are assigned to
planes. For testing, you will need a fullscreen client that allows
compositing to be skipped. A fullscreen video player could be one, but
you could also modify weston-simple-egl to have a fullscreen
single-color background surface while the OpenGL scene is shown smaller.

weston-desktop-shell will not allow you to hit the composite bypass,
because it uses wl_shm buffers exclusively, and those cannot be
promoted to planes to avoid compositing. You either need an app that is
fullscreen and completely hides the weston-desktop-shell elements, or
the single-color background must be the only surface
weston-desktop-shell is showing (you can disable the panel in
weston.ini, maybe that's enough).

You can use the weston-debug tool to inspect the scenegraph and the
analysis at runtime. See weston --debug command line option.