Building weston

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Mon Sep 17 20:36:10 UTC 2018

Hi Rohan,

On Sat, 1 Sep 2018 at 11:28, rohan julka <rohanjulka19 at gmail.com> wrote:
> how can I check if there is a compilation error after editing the code in Weston , apologies for the rookie question I am just trying to understand on how to build and run Weston , it seems a bit confusing any help would be appreciated .

This page has some (perhaps slightly outdated) instructions for
building Weston: https://wayland.freedesktop.org/building.html

If the compilation (the 'make' and 'make install' stages) succeeds and
you can run your modified version of Weston, then it has been
successful. If the compilation fails, then, well, it's failed, and the
compiler will tell you why.

This page has a very short guide on how most open-source projects
organise their 'build system' to compile the code:
https://www.wired.com/2010/02/Compile_Software_From_Source_Code/

There is also quite a good list of resources here that you can use to
improve your development skills with C:
https://www.quora.com/How-and-where-do-I-start-learning-C-programming

The best place to get started is a good understanding of the code
you're working on, e.g. the Wayland protocol itself, or EGL, other
parts of the graphics stack like KMS, or parts of input like libinput.
Unfortunately we don't have a good guide for this yet, but we are
trying to collate some resources together and get better at dealing
with newcomers.

If you don't have much experience with Wayland and complex projects,
it's possible the best place for you to start is with Wayland clients,
rather than jumping straight into Weston. Some good resources for that
include:
  https://archive.fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/wayland_client/
  https://github.com/emersion/hello-wayland (unfortunately completely
bereft of comments/documentation)