weston rdp black screen

Jean-Francois Dagenais jeff.dagenais at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 13:04:23 UTC 2019

> On Apr 12, 2019, at 08:28, Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I wonder, could that maybe hint to some kind of glReadPixels related
> failure in the combination of DRM-backend, GL-renderer, Mali, and
> screenshare...

That make a lot of sense yeah.

> If you try screenshots (Mod+s, was it?), do those come out fine?
> IIRC it writes a PNG in Weston's CWD.

That part works great, oddly. (I haven't dug into the code enough yet)

>> I've had to put this aside for a bit. I may end up coding a
>> rfb-backend.so (or vnc-backend.so) in the near future.
>
> There is also a long forgotten patch series to enable
> GL-renderer in RDP-backend.
Not sure if I understand all this correctly yet (bit of graphics newbie), but I
need the mali to actually render what's on the LCD. The screen-sharing over the
network is the secondary mission.

> What's the reason for your new backend and do you intend to send it
> upstream, if I may ask?

Reason would be to go around the problems experienced with the various RDP
clients I've tried. RFB seems a bit simpler and a better fit for our needs. But
again, this is a graphics-newbie talking. Nothing's decided yet.

I would definitely keep it public and hopefully get it upstream. I fear though
the the time I am allowed to work on this may not cover all use cases but rather
just our specific ones.

> There are various remoting efforts going around, mostly in the
> automotive industry.

Mmmh. Interesting. All I could summon was Kwin and gnome (mutter). I found Mer
project has lipstick (QtWayland based) compositor with lipstick2vnc. But I don't
know how functional this is (APIs still exist, frame rate, etc)

Can you elaborate which efforts you are talking about and if we could
participate?

Cheers!