XDG_RUNTIME_DIR on a system with no "logins"

Guillermo Rodriguez guillerodriguez.dev at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 10:28:21 UTC 2019

El jue., 19 dic. 2019 a las 9:15, Pekka Paalanen
(<ppaalanen at gmail.com>) escribió:

> On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 13:10:14 +0100
> Guillermo Rodriguez <guillerodriguez.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In my application I need to run several clients, and each one is started
> > from a separate SysV init script. I guess that I will need to define the
> > XDG_RUNTIME_DIR env var to point to this "made up" location in each
> > script. A bit ugly...
>
> Hi,
>
> yes I guess, and SysV init scripts have other downsides: if you
> use them to launch both Weston and the clients, you may have hard
> time making sure the clients are launched only after Weston is
> ready to accept them. Unfortunately Weston's own auto-launch
> feature has not materialized yet, although it has been discussed and
> should likely use the XDG desktop files for it. Even then, it
> would be a one-shot thing, not restarting the clients if they quit.
>
> If you used systemd, Weston has integration for that, both startup
> notification to ensure dependent services are started only after
> Weston is ready and socket activation should you choose to want
> that.

Uhm. I am not sure I can switch to systemd at this point.
How does this (Weston being ready / not ready) look like from the client side?

i.e. if I want to make sure the client is launched once Weston is ready,
1. Is there any way to manually check whether Weston is ready? (e.g.
some sentinel file being created or similar)
or failing that,
2. Is there any recognizable error code if the client tries to launch
before Weston is ready (so that I can wait a bit and retry)

Thanks,

Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
guille.rodriguez at gmail.com