Upcoming release

Alexandros Frantzis alexandros.frantzis at collabora.com
Wed Jan 30 12:58:31 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 10:05:47AM -0600, Derek Foreman wrote:
> On 1/18/19 4:20 PM, Derek Foreman wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > It's been quite some time since our last weston release, and there's
> > been some discussion of getting the next one out in the January to March
> > timeframe (this would be the last release to have an autotools build, btw).
> >
> > Does anyone have objections to an early February freeze and a March
> > release?  Anyone with large series near completion?
> >
> > Also, I'd like to float the idea of removing the fbdev backend for this
> > release (or the next).  The bulk of the interesting features target the
> > drm backend, and it feels like fbdev can sometimes be a bit of a pain to
> > update when changes are required elsewhere.  Any strong opinions either way?
>
> Ok, I've heard no complaints, and we really are overdue...
>
> There's been some reasonable pushback against dropping fbdev
> immediately, so let's leave that in for this release.
>
> As to the release schedule, maybe:
> February 1, Alpha
> February 15, Beta
> March 1, RC1
> March 8 as a first potential final release date.
>
> Is this too soon to enter freeze?  It's not a lot of warning.
>
> Wayland has had enough changes that I think another joint release makes
> sense.
>
> Thanks,
> Derek

Hi Derek,

it would be nice if we could also try to get the weston support for the
zwp_linux_explicit_synchronization_unstable_v1 protocol in the next
release, given that the protocol itself has landed since some time now
(wayland-protocols 1.17).

The MR for the explicit sync implementation is at:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/merge_requests/32

Thanks,
Alexandros